PDA

View Full Version : How to weld 2 drain augers together???

drizler
01-15-2005, 01:31 AM
My POS hillbilly tennant went and plugged my drain for the second time in a year with all the grease she dumps down there. Since its a trailer and cleanouts aren't used I need to creat a 60' snake from my 50' and a new 15' I just bought. I put all 50' sown like last time and got butkis. I know just cal rotorooter. Well for the last adventure which he was there 10 minutes and gone for a humble $125 it just aint gonna happen. Thats sutpid wages by anyones standards so I have to rig up something. First off no one rents one for less than 3" drains thats over 50' around here so its up to me.
Here is what I have. 50' 1/2 incher round coiled wire and a 15' 3/8". I know thats enough having watched Mr Rooter use a motorized thing similar last time. Whats the best way to join these two together so they don't come apart in there and make me strangle the HUD Queen just yet. I was thinking of sliding the maller inside the bigger or sliding a piece of steel inside each like a sleeve and welding it together. Whats the best way to weld this stuff? I can't say I have had any sewer article welding experience or spring steel for that matter. Oh how I hate pig tenants; they could ruin a rock :mad: !

Joseph
01-15-2005, 01:54 AM
You weld this, the material is a treated spring/tempered steel and stress-relieved, it will not be "spring/tempered and stress-relieved" in the weld area.

It will break in the pipe and You will "Taste" the savings.

Professional drain snakes have male & female Connector.

Some manufactures sell/make splicers for there products.

I would get the correct tool.

Only my opinion.

Regards

drizler
01-15-2005, 02:21 AM
The price hops up from $25 to $260 which is more than I can handle for my operation. There is no coupler for these small rigs that I am aware of. It is one of those nasty little **** out of luck areas I have to find a way to work around. Surely there is some way to put that together so its strong enough to handle routing through grease..

Roospike
01-15-2005, 02:51 AM
I had the same problem years back with a drain. Had the wire ( 50' ) used the high powered drill and did nothing but make a mess and a whole day gone. I ended up doing what i should of done in the first place. I went to the local ( home depot ) hardware store and rented the big power motor 75' dog they had for $35. with all the cutters and goodies on the end and had the problem solved in less than an hour.

glockdoc
01-15-2005, 08:54 AM
Because of hardened/spring temper, welding will be about like trying to weld an extension onto a drill bit-probably will not last. You might want to try silver brazing a short sleeve on the two pieces, 45% should be plenty strong. LFB might work, cheaper but it will get the metal hotter. After your done, put it thru a good work out in the vise before sticking it in the drain. Fishing out a broken auger wouldn't be fun. As a fellow slumlord I know where your coming from. good luck.

Thomas Harris
01-15-2005, 09:24 AM
Sounds to me like it's time to crawl under that thing and put another cleanout in so you don't need to snake such a long length into it. Rubber clamp fittings make it really easy, aside from the obvious nasty trip under the trailer. Most of those trailers have plumbing so screwed up it doesn't matter how the tennants treat them, you'll have problemls. Do the pipes freeze up too!

moe1942
01-15-2005, 09:57 AM
Thomas has the right answer. There is usually a grease trap at the septic tank inlet., assuming it is a septic tank. The HUD queen will continue to toss grease down the sink so I would put a clean out next to the tank. That grease can get rock hard. Might even need to take the lid off to do it right.

toolaholic
01-15-2005, 10:15 AM
when you bust off the snake in the pipe. it will be backhoe city !!!!! take our wisdom or suffer big time!!! :(

drizler
01-15-2005, 04:00 PM
I will expand my search area some and see if someone has a rental routerlong enough that isn't so large a diameter. Too bad we have a Lowes and not a Depot which we had hoped for. Lowes isn't any better priced than a lumber yard for things. If not then braze and the vise it is. Amazing how some people feel sorry for these slobs. I have deal with them or their kids in one law enforcement job or another and there is only one solution. You have to treat them like bad children threatening them every time they step out of line or they just keep pushing. BTW around here we call them chewes pronounced " chee wee". Truly credits to the human race one and all. :rolleyes: Old fat *** is gonna get her rent raised plenty this fall for no better reason than pissing me off.

glockdoc
01-15-2005, 05:16 PM
you are not a true slumlord until you have actually moved someone to the street. Guaranteed to get you out of the mood for owning rental property. I'm convinced (for the most part) there is only one kind of rent and that is low rent. just got a call, I will be fixing a refridgerator tomorrow after I get back from my real job.

James D. Clark
01-15-2005, 05:29 PM
Get a flat snake with the ball on the end. You can get one long enough to work made by Ridgid. Go to their web site and search for dealers in your area. The 1/2 inch tape comes in a 75 foot length and the thinner 3/4 incher X 100 will work in 2 inch lines. I have one and it works.

http://www.ridgid.com/catalog/RT2004-135.pdf

toolaholic
01-15-2005, 08:38 PM
that's what plumbers call a blow bag, and they work greatfor in house fixtures.

for a 3or 4inch side sewer [clean out access ] you can purchase a canvas blow bag. there much larger, about $50, avaible at plumber supply's and do a great job! they also attach to garden hoses. I have an old terra cotta side sewer that aparently is cracked. once a month it snags t. p. and blocks up. the blow bag has saver me $500.in a year easy. this summer i'll rent a back hoe and replace.
one more tip when your side sewer exits house, install a kelly fitting! this fitting sweeps into house and to street. great for slab houses. you can snake into house or to street!

bcraytor
01-15-2005, 09:04 PM
Drizler,
LMAO :D I learned a few new choice idioms from you. Even if you dont find a solution your post was worth the read :) :)

storts
01-16-2005, 12:50 AM
Hi drizzle. I also have a rental here in a Navy town, see all types of people here, and the majority of them could care less, it doesnít belong to them! One thing Iíve always found very helpful is a tool that is sold at most hardware stores. It looks like a piece of black rubber hose, and at one end it has a female fitting for a garden hose. You stick it in the drain, hold it in place have some one turn on the hose, before any water comes out the end, the black rubber hose blows up to form a water tight seal. Then it automatically goes into a pulse action. It just pumps and pumps and pumps water until, it either blows your pipes apart or unplugs the drain. I have never had any problems with using this tool on my rental, and it 58-years old. Good luck, I think everybody should own a least one rental in his or her life!
If that doesnt work,(which 99% of the time it does, Get a small air compressorDone it) make up a 3 or 4" plasic plug and tap it for 1/4 npt, fitting and valve and SLOWLY BLOW THE **** IN THE TANK, HAS WORKED FOR ME!!!!!! Jack

drizler
01-16-2005, 09:35 AM
That works great for most instances. Unfortunately I put full pressure on it this time and it wouldn't budge the grease. This is some serious scum believe me. What was in the J trap and 3' of pipe I removed was SOLID GREASE. Most of you guys probably couldn't even imagine what it looks like. What I would like to know is what her arteries look like. I overheard one of her pearls of wisdom to her daughter one day. " Don't move around so much. You remember thats what gave Uncle *** his heart attack". Ya right stay firmly glued to the couch and everythin gonna be just fine.
You guys recall the 480 LB woman in Fla last summer that the paramedics had to cut out the wall to get her out. She had sat on the couch so long they had to surgically remove it from her rear. She died and my only question was since she hadn't left the couch in 2 years where did all the POO go? Thats one for the scholars to ponder.
I might try air pressure but its hard since I am going in through the clean out and there is a vent directly above it and its hard to seal up. I don't have a big air tank and my compressor is pretty much stationary and 220 Vt.

Thomas Harris
01-16-2005, 04:29 PM
What kind of pipe does the system have? How old is it?

toolaholic
01-16-2005, 05:45 PM
if its a kitchen sink waste line 11/2 or 2inch galvanized pipe, grease and scum love to stick to it!! its faster and a better deal to sawsall it off and replace with abs plastic !! you'll be starting out new. also router co's have high pressure water blasters that do a great job

drizler
01-17-2005, 09:29 AM
Its Black ABS 20 years old. ****ed Chewe woman is pissed and I am loving it. Letting her stew a few more days will give her time to reflect and ponder her actions. Then once I do that fix I get to give her the one last warning about the 7 cats ( all unfixed) that she is going to get rid of. She can't understand why they keep multiplying. Thats why I made ****ed sure in the lease it said NO PETS. I feel sorry for the cats. Maby today I will feel kind and take her over my Gas siphon hose with the one way valve in it so she can siphon it out the window till I get ready to attack it again. :D

Thomas Harris
01-17-2005, 07:40 PM
I worked for a property management Co. for a short time. They rented mostly crappy housing to local college students. The kids really don't care what they live in so it wasn't to big a deal as far a complaints. One thing does stand out in my mind though. One of the units was a manufactured home with a basemnent. This one rented by a family of three. Lived like pigs. Had junked piled against the back door, elimating the use in event of fire. I had to fix his oven. Would not lite/relite. We'll upon inspection of the pilot burner I found some small mountains of dead ****roaches. I think they were actually impinging on the pilot flame and not allowing the main burner to come on. Yep, there were that many of them. I talked with the guy for a bit and he mentioned that the maintenance co. had put ceramic tile in his kitchen. Well seems they forgot to cut the hole for the heat vent in the underlayment. They put ceramic tile right over it. He said his kitchen was a little cold ever since. I'm glad I don't work for that place any more, I would have fixed that kind of mistake... and likely caught **** for not leaving it a done deal.

James D. Clark
01-17-2005, 07:47 PM
I worked for a property management Co. for a short time. They rented mostly crappy housing to local college students. The kids really don't care what they live in so it wasn't to big a deal as far a complaints. One thing does stand out in my mind though. One of the units was a manufactured home with a basemnent. This one rented by a family of three. Lived like pigs. Had junked piled against the back door, elimating the use in event of fire. I had to fix his oven. Would not lite/relite. We'll upon inspection of the pilot burner I found some small mountains of dead ****roaches. I think they were actually impinging on the pilot flame and not allowing the main burner to come on. Yep, there were that many of them. I talked with the guy for a bit and he mentioned that the maintenance co. had put ceramic tile in his kitchen. Well seems they forgot to cut the hole for the heat vent in the underlayment. They put ceramic tile right over it. He said his kitchen was a little cold ever since. I'm glad I don't work for that place any more, I would have fixed that kind of mistake... and likely caught **** for not leaving it a done deal.

The ****roaches must have been using the pilot flame to get warm. :eek: :D

tlrbradley
01-19-2005, 08:15 AM
I used to do drain cleaning for about 4 years. Like these guys have said, do not weld the pieces together. Depending on what the problem is, and where it is, you may need a different tool for the job so you dont have to keep doing this ever year. If you are having a grease/sludge problem in the mail line, get the line jetted, it will clear that line out like its new again. All any auger will do with a grease/sludge problem is move that stuff around and poke a hole through it and your problem will come back. Thats my .02.

drizler
01-19-2005, 06:53 PM
With the advice I got from a guy in a hardware store I found a guy who has just what you said a water jet, 4300 PSI. and no where near the price of Rotor Rooter. Mrs Fat Chewee was pissed because I didn't get it done today and threatened to call HUD and I wouldn't get paid any more. I told her that that was great because I was evicting her because she hasn't paid me $130 she owes me from last year and because she broke the lease with her 7-10 unfixed cats she isn' t supposed to have. Then she accused me of coming in when she wasn't there. I just laughed and said my daughter saw them through the window when we were over there last week. As if I haven't stumbled over at least 3 at a time for long enough.
Ah well threatening chewee tenants is sort of refreshing just like therapy. They are just like convicts, if you don't spank the bad ones regularly they get out of control so you keep after em just like a snotty little kid. Heres a toast to "white trash a proud American tradition to endure the ages. Downtrodden but not in danger of extinction, never: they breed like roaches :p

storts
01-19-2005, 07:09 PM
That works great for most instances. Unfortunately I put full pressure on it this time and it wouldn't budge the grease. This is some serious scum believe me. What was in the J trap and 3' of pipe I removed was SOLID GREASE. Most of you guys probably couldn't even imagine what it looks like. What I would like to know is what her arteries look like. I overheard one of her pearls of wisdom to her daughter one day. " Don't move around so much. You remember thats what gave Uncle *** his heart attack". Ya right stay firmly glued to the couch and everythin gonna be just fine.
You guys recall the 480 LB woman in Fla last summer that the paramedics had to cut out the wall to get her out. She had sat on the couch so long they had to surgically remove it from her rear. She died and my only question was since she hadn't left the couch in 2 years where did all the POO go? Thats one for the scholars to ponder.
I might try air pressure but its hard since I am going in through the clean out and there is a vent directly above it and its hard to seal up. I don't have a big air tank and my compressor is pretty much stationary and 220 Vt.
GOD, IM GLAD I TOOK UP WELDING, I WANTED TO BE A PLUMMER OR ELECTRICAN, A FRENCH FRIED,( CANT FINISH IT*******) JACK

tlrbradley
01-20-2005, 01:03 AM
I used to actually look forward to going to plumbing calls, drain cleaning is hard and dirty, not something I ever want to do again, unless of course I was able to afford my own equiptment and do it myself. Hopefully you get everything worked out driz, if I was anywhere close to you id offer my assistance.